EfficientPIM Network Guide before 3.80 Version
EfficientPIM Network is a full-featured personal information manager (PIM) software program that can help you organize and plan your business life. EfficientPIM Network Edition allows different users in your organization to access the same copy of data, to work in conjunction and improve work efficiency. Only finish the following steps can you have a more efficient and convenient working style.
The main parts of this guide:
- Steps for connecting to server as administrator
- Steps for connecting to server for clients
- Possible reasons for failing to connect to server
- Major highlights of EfficientPIM Network
Steps of installation and connecting to server
- Please download EfficientPIM Network (for sever computer)at:
Please download EfficientPIM (for client computers) at:
- Steps for connecting to server as administrator.
- After you install EfficientPIM's server edition on the server computer, please click New File on Toolbar to create a file to share your information. (Generally, the directory of the file when you first use this software is "C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\My Documents\My Information.effw")
- And then please click Close on File menu and click Connect to Server button in the dialog box.
- Please input the related information in the interface:
Server: localhost (or server's host name)
Database file: the directory of the shared file which you set just now
Username: SYSDBA (default system administrator)
Password: masterkey (default system administrator password)
- If you have inputted the correct information, you can connect to server as administrator successfully. So you can add your group members by clicking Users on File menu. (If you select Access to private data only, he or she will not see others' information.) When you add a new member and select that entry, you can see the related information about connecting to server. And you can copy it by clicking Copy to Clipboard button in this interface. Hence, it is really convenient for you to send it to the user. (Note: the password will not be displayed for privacy.)
- Steps for connecting to server for clients.
- Start EfficientPIM and click File -> Connect to Server.
- Please input the related information that the administrator has set for you in the interface:
Server: the server's IP address (it can be the server's host name if in the same LAN)
Database file: the directory that the administrator has set for you
Username: the user name that the administrator has set for you
Password: the password that the administrator has set for you
- If you failed to connect to server, please check your computer as following.
- Whether the administrator opened the shared file without connecting to server.
- When the administrator set password for the shared file without connecting to server, whether he or she did not select It may be accessed simultaneously by multiple users.
- Whether the LAN is connected.
- Whether the Windows Firewall allows EfficientPIM and Firebird to communicate through.
- You can add a new entry of each module for other users. If you select Private on the bottom of the edit window, the entry will be seen just only by the user you select. (And administrator or the one whose access rights is to all users' data.) On the contrary, if you do not select Private, the entry will be displayed to all users.
- You can assign a task to other user by clicking Assign to and Private on the bottom of Task-editing window. So that other users could not see this task except the administrator or the one whose access rights is to all users' data. Besides, you can assign the previous task to other user easily. Please right-click this task entry and click Assign to in the popup menu. By this way, you can add or change the receiver of tasks. And the Reminder window will only remind the user you select based on the time you set.
- Every group member can add a new event for others. Likewise, if you select its owner and Private on the bottom of Event-editing window, others could not see except the administrator or the one whose access rights is to all users' data. And the Reminder window will only remind this user based on the time you set. Besides, if you do not select Private, the Reminder window will remind all members based on the time you set. As a result, it is extremely convenient for you to inform the information about a meeting to your colleagues.
- If you add a new desktop note for others, the message will "stick" onto their Windows desktops immediately.
- Whenever the users add a new entry in this shared file, you can see the latest information by clicking Refresh on the Toolbar(or press F5). If you want to open an entry which has been deleted by other user without refreshing, an interface will appear to tell you: This item has been deleted by other user.
- If an entry was editing by two or more users at the same time, the software will save and display the latest information about it.
- If a group member has been deleted by the administrator, his or her private information will be transferred to administrator.
- Administrator can set a password to open the file by clicking Password Protection on File menu and selecting Password to Open the File. Or set a separated password for Diary, Notes or Password Manager Module. You can click Password Protection on File menu. And then select Password to Login to the Diary Module. It is the same to set a password for Notes Module or Password Manager Module.
- If the administrator wants to backup the database file to an USB stick or other directory, please ensure that all the group members including you have exited EfficientPIM. You can click Users on File menu to see if there is any member still connecting to server. In addition, if you use backup software to backup database file, please ensure that all users including you have exited EfficientPIM before it works.
If you want to know more basic functions, please see EfficientPIM Guide.
If you work with the latest version (after 3.80) of EfficientPIM Network, please visit EfficientPIM Network Guide.
If you want to connect to remote server when you're at home, on business and so on, please refer to Connect to Remote Server Guide.
This guide is also suitable for early versions (before 3.80) of Efficient Man's Organizer Network, Efficient Lady's Organizer Network, Efficient Reminder Network, Efficient Address Book Network, Efficient Notes Network, Efficient Diary Network, Efficient Password Manager Network, Efficient Calendar Network, Efficient To-Do List Network, and Efficient Sticky Notes Network.